Eggs

Breakfast Skillet

I have been fighting a terrible cold for over a week and I've had no desire to cook big meals. I was craving a skillet breakfast so I decided to make it for dinner. My kids don't like eggs so I made them French toast to go with the tasty breakfast potatoes. I piled up a plate of potatoes with cheese, bacon crumbles, green onions and an over easy egg on top for me and my husband. It was extremely tasty and we both enjoyed it. Sometimes breakfast for dinner is the best!



Breakfast Skillet:
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • 10-12 red baby potatoes, diced into bite size pieces
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 red, orange or yellow pepper, diced (I used a bit of each)
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 3 eggs (I made one for me and two for my husband)
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
Slice the potatoes into bite sized pieces and place in a pot of boiling water to par cook. Boil over high heat for 7 minutes, remove from heat and drain. While the potatoes are boiling, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the bacon is cooked, remove from pan and drain on a paper towel then crumble into pieces and set aside. Remove all but 2 teaspoons of bacon grease from skillet then add the potatoes.

Cook the potatoes over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Add the onion and bell pepper to the potatoes and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 60 seconds then turn the heat to low.

Coat a small skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Crack the egg into the warm pan and season with salt and pepper. Once the white of the egg is no longer transparent, add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for about 1 minute or until the yolk is clouded over. Don't over cook or the yolk will be hard.

Layer the potatoes on a plate, sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, next add some bacon crumbles and green onions then top with an over easy egg. Serve with hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!



Eggs Benedict

This is one of my very favorite breakfasts. I actually prefer bacon instead of ham on my eggs benedict, so I made it that way. There is something so amazing about lemony hollandaise sauce with the creamy yolk and salty bacon. I used the leftover hollandaise sauce I recently made and my husband and I had a delightful breakfast. This was the best eggs benedict I've ever had.
  • 1 egg, poached
  • 2 slices of crispy bacon
  • 1/2 an English muffin
  • Hollandaise sauce
  • Fresh parsley for garnish

Cook the bacon and reheat the hollandaise in a double boiler (add a bit of water to thin it out).

A lot of people poach eggs directly in water but I always put mine in a ramekin. In a large skillet with high sides, add 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Add a bit of butter to a ramekin then crack the egg inside. Place the ramekin in the boiling water. Reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Cook for 4 minutes then remove ramekin from pan. I use a butter knife to slide around the edges of the poached egg to loosen it.

Toast the English muffin while the egg is poaching. Place the bacon on top of the toasted English muffin, add the poached egg then pour the hollandaise (as much as you want) on top. Garnish with a bit of fresh parsley and serve. Enjoy!


Potato, Turkey Sausage, and Mushroom Frittata

I am still fighting a cold so I don't have much energy to fix big meals. I was craving breakfast for dinner last night and decided a frittata would be perfect. I looked through the refrigerator to see what I could use. I found potatoes, mushrooms, sweet yellow onion, turkey sausage links and cheddar cheese. The frittata turned out light, fluffy and full of flavor. The potatoes made this extra special and hearty. This meal was simple to make with a quick clean up and it tasted great. It makes a great breakfast, lunch or dinner.

  • 8 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp non fat milk
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 5 small baby Dutch potatoes
  • 5 turkey sausage links, cooked and diced
  • 1/2 cup white mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3/4 cup cheddar, shredded (divided)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Green onion for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add whole potatoes to a pot of boiling water. Boil for 5-6 minutes then drain and let cool. Cook the turkey sausage links then set aside. Once the potatoes have cooled, dice them into bite size pieces (I leave the skin on for more fiber). Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, once it's hot add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes then add the onion and mushrooms. Sauté for another 5 minutes or until the onion and mushrooms are tender. Dice the turkey sausage and mix into the potato mixture. Coat a tart or pie pan with cooking spray then pour the potato mixture in the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk together, season with salt and pepper then pour over potato mixture in the tart pan.


Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Top the frittata with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and return to the oven for 5-10 additional minutes or until the cheese is melted and the eggs are cooked through. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!


Huevos Rancheros

I was always afraid to order huevos rancheros at Mexican restaurants because I wasn't sure I would like eggs with my Mexican food - boy was I wrong. Once I was brave enough to order it, I was hooked. I love the flavor of the beans, corn tortilla, cheese and salsa but what makes it really special for me is the over easy egg and the yolk. All the flavor together makes music in my mouth. I don't make rancheros sauce because I really love it with my homemade salsa. It's simple to make and tastes unbelievably good.
  • Corn tortillas
  • Refried beans
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Salsa
  • Eggs
  • Fresh chopped cilantro

Heat cooking spray in a small skillet over medium heat. Crack the egg into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Once the white of the egg is no longer transparent, add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for about 1 minute or until the yolk is clouded over. Don't over cook or the yolk will be hard.

Cook tortillas in pan for 30 seconds on each side. Layer the tortilla with a bit of refried beans then sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Spread salsa over the cheese then top with the egg and a bit more cheese. Garnish with cilantro leaves.

I love my fresh salsa so much that I add a bit more to the top of my egg. It's a bit messier but tastes so good. Enjoy!



The Perfect Egg

There is nothing worse than an over cooked egg. I am not a fan of crunchy whites or the hard and dry yolk. I love a well cooked, over easy, creamy yolk, egg. I tried perfecting my egg cooking technique for years but never got it just right until my brother in law, Brett, taught me how to steam them. It's similar to basting but instead of using fat or butter, I use water. It's unbelievably easy and it truly makes the perfect egg. Try it - you'll see. Thanks Brett!

  • Cooking spray (or butter)
  • 1 egg
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • 1 tbsp water
Heat the cooking spray in a small skillet over medium heat. Crack the egg into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Once the white of the egg is no longer transparent, add the water to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for about 1 minute or until the yolk is clouded over. Don't over cook or the yolk will be hard. I like to eat my over easy eggs on top of an English muffin with a piece of bacon on it. Enjoy!

Ham, Mushroom and Cheddar Frittata

We had company this weekend and this was a perfect Saturday morning breakfast. It's fairly healthy but doesn't taste like it. The ham, mushroom and cheddar flavors were great together and it was light but filling. Simple to make and so delicious.
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp non fat milk
  • 3/4 cup low fat cheddar, shredded (divided)
  • 1/2 cup of ham, diced
  • 1/2 cup white mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1 tsp butter
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Green onion for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add onions & mushrooms and saute until tender, remove from heat & set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk together. Add 1/2 cup of cheese, ham, mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper to taste. Coat a tart or pie pan with cooking spray and add the egg mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Top the frittata with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and return to the oven for 10 additional minutes. Remove from the oven cool for 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!